> Examples >
Tasks & Rubrics
Task #4: Using Transitions in Writing
Standards: Students will use a variety of transitions in
Task: Using Transitions in Writing
1. Whole Group and Partner Activity - Replacing Transitions
- Give the students each a copy of this paragraph.
Do you know how a reflecting telescope works? First you have light.
Then the light goes through one end and hits the lens of another. Then
it bounces off that lens to another smaller lens in the middle. Then it
bounces off the eyepiece. Then you see the object.
- Ask them to identify the transitions used in the paragraph. (first,
- Discuss the purpose of transitions in a paragraph (to link one fact
to the next, to help the sentences flow from one idea to another, to make
it easier to read and understand, etc.).
- Discuss why a writer should use a variety of transitions (to make the
paragraph more interesting, helps draw attention to the paragraph, enhances
- Have each student use their transition list (see attached copies from
their Writing Tools Book) to replace some or all of these transitions
in this paragraph.
- Have the students share their answers with a partner.
- Have the students share their answers with the class.
2. Independent Activity - Writing a Paragraph Using Transitions
-Have the students take ONE of their topics from Task #3 for which they
have already done the organizing and written the topic sentence. Have
them write a paragraph, making sure that they include a variety of transitions
because that is what they will be assessed on with the Using Transitions
1. Using Transitions - Students should use transitions in their writing.
- Students should use a variety of transitions in their writing.
Using Transitions Rubric
Does the paragraph include transitions?
Are there a variety of transitions