Dr. Jon Mueller
Office: Goldspohn 16
|Office Hours: 9:30-10:30 MWF||
Certainty is comforting; absolute certainty is absolutely comforting.
-- Anne M. Carpenter, former PSY 100 student
5. Write in a clear and organized manner
6. Identify and describe examples of the relationship between the brain and behavior
7. Use examples to illustrate that it is our perception of reality, and not reality itself, that influences our behavior
8. Identify and describe the influences of nature and nurture on behavior
9. Demonstrate recognition of the four types of learning in everyday behavior
10. Discuss the origins and expression of individual differences in personality
11. Demonstrate a familiarity with several types of psychological disorders
12. Demonstrate a familiarity with at least two types of psychological therapy
Four exams worth 100 points each will be given on the dates listed on the course schedule. The exams are intended to test your understanding of the assigned readings and the material presented in lecture-discussion.
Four, short (approximately 1.5-3 pages typed, double-spaced) papers worth 30 points each will be assigned during the term. You are required to submit at least three of them. You will be graded on your three best scores. You may also rewrite one of your first three papers up to three times. You will receive the highest grade from all the drafts as your grade for that paper. No cover page is necessary.
Except for emergencies, I will reduce late paper grades by 10% per calendar day. Please notify me in advance if you anticipate missing an exam because of an emergency or other legitimate excuse (e.g., course field trip or varsity athletic competition).
Additionally, I will require you to complete 18 very brief assignments in or outside of class. For these assignments, I will simply be looking to see if you put a "good faith effort" into answering the questions. If you did I will put a (+) on your paper; if not, I will give it a (-). If you receive at least 16 plusses on the brief assignments you will receive the full 60 points. If you receive 14 plusses, you will earn 48 points. If you receive 12 plusses you will earn 36 points. If you receive 11 plusses you will earn 24 points. If you receive fewer than 11 plusses on the brief assignments you will earn 0 points. The brief assignments will be due by the beginning of that class period. Assignments must be typed.
Finally, some participation in psychology studies is required. Completion of the research requirement will earn you 20 points. (See Research Participation.)
To summarize, you can accumulate 570 points, and you will be graded on the following scale:
|A = 93%||530 pts. and above||excellent performance|
|A- = 90%||513 pts. and above|
|B+ = 87%||496 pts. and above||very good performance|
|B = 83%||473 pts. and above|
|B- = 80%||456 pts. and above|
|C+ = 77%||439 pts. and above||good performance|
|C = 73%||416 pts. and above|
|C- = 70%||399 pts. and above|
|D = 60%||342 pts. and above||adequate performance|
|F = <60%||under 342 pts.||less than adequate|
Return to Top
Jon Mueller's Home Page